You may notice this recipe is titled both bread and cake. I don’t know which one it tastes like more. The original recipe says bread but to be honest, I think it’s more cake since the sour cream adds a real element of richness. It’s sweet, it’s soft, it’s delicious. You can bake it in any style baking pan that you have. Go with the loaf if you’re in a bread mood and go with the an 8 or 9 inch square or round baking dish if you’re in more of a cake mood. Regardless, they’ll taste the same. And that taste is SO GOOD.
With summer right around the corner, let the blueberry bakes begin! Check out some of my other favorite blueberry recipes by searching “blueberry” in the ABeeBakes search bar below. Here are a few of my favorite’s though if you’re too lazy: Blueberry Buckle, Blueberry Muffins, and Blueberry Cardamom Cake.
Blueberry Sour Cream Bread Cake with Glaze
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice half a lemon
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted if lumpy
- 2-4 tbsp. milk
- splash vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan for bread or 8×8-inch pan for cake; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, oil, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet. Do not over-mix. Carefully (especially with frozen, as the color will leak) fold in 1½ cups of the blueberries. Spread the thick batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of blueberries on top.
- Bake for 55-70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- To make the glaze, combine the ingredients in a small bowl. Add more or less sugar to achieve a pourable consistency. Drizzle over the cake and serve.