Have you heard of Baobab? Perhaps you recognize the Baobab tree from the famous book, Le Petit Prince. What you may not know is that this ancient tree grows in Africa and produces a fruit that’s packed with nutrients. So many in fact, it’s considered a superfood. You can find it in the health food section of most grocery stores or any health food store. Here are some of the benefits (from Boabest website):
Today’s recipe incorporates this superfood into a very simple-to-make vegan banana bread. The taste of baobab is detectible but subtle. It adds an element of fruitiness, almost a bit like citrus. Cinnamon adds a bit of warmth so the fruit flavor isn’t too overpowering or sour. I personally enjoyed the bread still warm from the oven with salted butter (I’m not vegan) but you could do the same with vegan butter and some flaked sea salt. Or have a slice with a smear of nut butter. It’s even good enough to eat plain! If you like experimenting with superfoods and don’t know how to incorporate them into your diet, I like to sprinkle them in my coffee, salad dressings, or smoothies. Otherwise, you know me, I’m baking with them! :-p
Baobab Banana Bread (Vegan)
- 3 bananas, overly ripe and mashed
- 1 cup nondairy milk or any milk if not vegan
- 1/3 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. white vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup baobab powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease 9×5-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas until smooth. Stir in the milk, olive oil, vanilla, and white vinegar. In a separate medium bowl, combine the flour, baobab powder, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gently fold in the flour mixture into the banana mixture, until fully combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.