Being advised to stay home is anything but boring for me as a baker. While the circumstances are weird and sad, I’m trying to make the most of it and I hope you do too! With the recommendation to practice social distancing, combined with the misty grey Austin weather, this cake was simply begging to be made.
The best part? No butter! So if you’re using your grocery hauls sparingly, keep that butter on hand for something else.
A snacking cake in general is very forgiving. You can adapt it according to what you have on hand and it won’t get messed up. Don’t have milk? Use any non-dairy milk in its place. Don’t have that? Fine, use orange juice (and omit the spice all together). Don’t have cardamom? Use cinnamon instead. Don’t have vanilla? Add some brandy or maybe some fresh lemon zest. No olive oil? Use any oil. See what I mean? It’s just begging to be made, ready to prove how easy, tasty, and quick it is to make.
In addition to snacking cakes being forgiving, they’re also not too sweet. This isn’t like a sheet cake or birthday cake, it’s more like European cake or a breakfast cake. Be warned though, it means you can eat more of it. 😉 And you can sort of just eat it any time since it’s a snack. So maybe put it on a high shelf if you want it to last longer than a day. :-p
It takes 5-10 minutes to preheat the oven and gather & combine the ingredients. It takes 20 minutes to bake. So in 30 minutes, okay more like 30 minutes and 20 seconds (because you have to wash your hands), you too could be snacking on this cardamom cake. Enjoy and be grateful for the comforts of your home during this time. <3
Cardamom Snacking Cake
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup almond floor
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cardemom
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar sifted if lumpy
- 1 tbsp. milk or water
- pinch salt
- splash vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Grease a 9-inch round or 8-inch square cake pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, olive oil, sugar, milk, and vanilla. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, almond flour, baking powder, salt, and ground cardamom.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, stirring just until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. Cool the cake on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze, combine ingredients until smooth. Spread over the top of the cake and when set, slice and serve.